Please Answer these question based about these readings :1- Intro to Ocean Sci.: Ch. 12 (Links to an external site.) (pp 282-292, 298-304) and Critical Concepts 14 and 15 2- Intro to Ocean Sci.: Ch. 12 (Links to an external site.) (pp 293-297)
3- Intro to Ocean Sci.: Ch. 12 p. 287-288, 297-298 and Ch. 15 p. 410-416
Primary Production and Limiting Factors
· Name the macronutrients necessary for primary production.
· Distinguish between the major types of phytoplankton found in the ocean.
· Compare and contrast phytoplankton to zooplankton.
· Explain what a limiting factor is.
· Describe the limiting factor(s) to primary production in at low latitudes.
· Describe the limiting factor(s) to primary production in at mid-latitudes.
· Describe the limiting factor(s) to primary production in at high latitudes.
· Describe the physical process of upwelling of the U.S. West Coast. Include the directions of wind and water movement.
· Identify the characteristics that indicate areas of recent upwelling.
· Describe the significance of upwelling zones to large primary producers and large predators (e.g. tuna and marine mammals).
· Explain the major factors that determine seasonal changes on Earth.
· Describe how the seasonal changes affect the surface ocean.
· Other than temperature, explain how else Earth’s seasons change throughout the Northern Hemisphere.
Food pyramids, food webs, ecosystems
· Arrange the following trophic levels in increasing order:
apex predator, primary producer, carnivore, primary consumer,
· Describe the important factors and processes necessary to maintain a sustainable, healthy ecosystem.
· Explain how nutrients are cycled within an ecosystem.
· Describe the relationship of trophic levels and biomass.
· For each ecosystem: High Latitude (Polar), Kelp Forests, Coral Reefs
- Describe the physical conditions of each location
- Compare the primary producers in each location
- Explain the role of top predators in each location and how it contributes to the sustainability of the the ecosystem.
· Describe the different challenges in polar ecosystems. Explain the role that ice places in these ecosystems.