Questionnaire DevelopmentTo create psychological measuring tools, test developers initially write as many as twice the number of items that will appear in the final draft of their questionnaires. They
To create psychological measuring tools, test developers initially write as many as twice the number of items that will appear in the final draft of their questionnaires. They must plan the questions.
Gathering background information, or demographic data, about respondents, is an essential step in the pilot study of a questionnaire or survey. This information can be embedded in the survey or presented as a separate document. In both cases, the information gathered is about the respondent’s age, gender, educational level, employment status, income, and other personal variables. This information shows how closely the pilot sample matches the population for which the survey is intended. Further, it is a good idea to test people of varying characteristics so that the test generates an array of data that can be used to sort and compare group responses (Sue & Ritter, 2013).
In designing demographically related items, it is a good idea to only request information that is relevant to the testing objectives. A test developer should avoid asking overly personal questions that could spark negative reactions and even cause respondents to abandon the test. Placing demographic items at the end of a survey may be one way of preventing such a result (Sue & Ritter, 2013). As with all items, providing clear instructions for entering responses is vital as is including an affirmation of confidentiality and anonymity.
Sue, M., & Ritter, L. (2013). Conducting online surveys (2nd ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
In a minimum of 200 words, respond to the following:
- Based on Rust and Golombok’s grid structure, explain how to construct a blueprint, or framework, for developing a questionnaire. Identify and label both content and manifestations areas of your grid including the percentages attached to each cell.
- Discuss how you would obtain demographic information from the respondents of your survey. Detail the steps you would take to mock-pilot your survey.
- Cite all sources in APA format.
- Submit a Microsoft Word Document
- Used attached sources and additional journal articles if necessary.