Belsky, J. (1999). The psychology of aging (3rd ed.). Cengage. ISBN: 9780534359126.One of the most widely studied aspects of the psychology of aging is intelligence. For this assignment, we will d
Belsky, J. (1999). The psychology of aging (3rd ed.). Cengage. ISBN: 9780534359126.
One of the most widely studied aspects of the psychology of aging is intelligence. For this assignment, we will discuss this topic in more detail and examine its multi-faceted nature.
- Discuss the characteristics of the two basic types of intelligence: crystallized intelligence and fluid intelligence. What are the core principles of each? How are they similar, and in what ways are they different?
- Using Figure 6-1 as a reference, describe the significance of the Seattle Longitudinal Study. What did the results of this study demonstrate? How has it helped us to understand the mental abilities of the elderly?
- Examine the following forces related to age-related intelligence, and discuss the impact of each in explaining IQ loss in older adults:
- Impact of Speed
- Impact of Illness
- Impact of Mental Stimulation
- New conceptions of Adult Intelligence – examine each of the theories below and explain how they are revolutionizing the study of adult intelligence:
- Sternberg’s Tests of Practical Intelligence
- Denney’s Unexercised and Exercised Abilities
- Neo-Piagetian Perspective on Adult Intelligence
Your assignment should be three- to four-pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and should include a minimum of three scholarly sources that were published within the past five years and that are cited according to APA format