Explain whether the mid-range theory uses deductive, inductive or retroductive reasoning.
The purpose of this assignment is to describe, evaluate and discuss application of a nursing grand or
mid-range theory. This assignment also provides the learner an opportunity to connect theory and
research to nursing phenomena. Learners will develop an 8-10 page paper (excluding the title page and
references) using APA style to address the elements listed below.
Theory/Author Name and Background
1. Select a Grand or Mid-Range Theory that is appropriate to nursing practice . (Ex. Betty Neuman,
Florence Nightingale, Jean Watson, etc)
2. Describe the theorist’s background in detail and discuss how their experiences have impacted the
3. Examine crucial references for the original and/or current work of the theorist and other authors
writing about the selected theory.
4. Identify the phenomenon of concern or problems addressed by the theory
1. Explain whether the theory uses deductive, inductive or retroductive reasoning. Provide evidence to
support your conclusion.
2. Describe the major concepts of the theory.Â How are they defined? (theoretically and/or
operationally) Is the author consistent in the use of the concepts and other terms in the theory?
3. Interpret how the concepts are defined.Â Implicitly or explicitly?
4. Examine the relationships (propositions) among the major concepts.
1. Identify explicit and implicit assumptions (values/beliefs) underlying the theory. On what
The post Explain whether the mid-range theory uses deductive, inductive or retroductive reasoning. appeared first on My Nursing Paper.