PrintSUBDOMAIN 732.4 – PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE II: MANAGEMENT LEVEL
Competency 732.4.3: Professional and Ethical Leadership – The graduate exemplifies high professional standards, upholds confidentiality requirements, promotes the guidelines of the American Health Information Management Association Code of Ethics, and demonstrates leadership skills as a health informatics professional at a healthcare organization.
Engagement in professional development and continuing education is required to maintain certifications, increase your knowledge base, and remain current in your work. Networking with other professionals is a valuable tool that will move you along the continuum of your chosen career path. The code of ethics of the Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS) proposes that you can promote the effectiveness of your profession by exchanging information with colleagues and other groups. Likewise, the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) states the importance of recruiting and mentoring students, peers, and colleagues to develop and strengthen your professional workforce.
As you are completing your degree program at WGU, consider what you will do as a new professional to build your career and support your colleagues.
A. Provide advice to a first-term student in the Health Informatics program by doing the following:
1. Describe what you believe is the most important quality needed to stay on track throughout the program.
2. Discuss one idea or concept you had about the Health Informatics program when you began the program that has changed as you have moved through your coursework.
3. Explain three success strategies you would share with new students to encourage them in completing the program.
B. Analyze the professional practice experience by doing the following:
1. Discuss how you were mentored and supported at the professional practice site by experienced staff or management.
2. Describe a situation in which you observed or participated in interdepartmental collaboration and the result of that collaboration.
3. Discuss how staff and management you worked with managed their professionalism in high-stress situations.
C. Write about how you will promote your own professional growth in the next three years by doing the following:
1. Identify one of the professional organizations you would like to become involved with.
a. Explain why you want to be involved with the professional organization you identified in part C1.
2. Describe the type of job you would like to have in the near future, including job responsibilities and activities you would like to be engaged in.
3. Discuss what steps you will need to take in order to attain your career goals.
D. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: When bulleted points are present in the task prompt, the level of detail or support called for in the rubric refers to those bulleted points.
Note: For definitions of terms commonly used in the rubric, see the Rubric Terms web link included in the Evaluation Procedures section.
Note: When using sources to support ideas and elements in a paper or project, the submission MUST include APA formatted in-text citations with a corresponding reference list for any direct quotes or paraphrasing. It is not necessary to list sources that were consulted if they have not been quoted or paraphrased in the text of the paper or project.
Note: No more than a combined total of 30% of a submission can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. For tips on using APA style, please refer to the APA Handout web link included in the General Instructions section.